May 24, 2018
Welcome to Episode 25 of The Podcast About Division III
Baseball. This is our World Series preview pod, in which we prepare
ourselves mentally, emotionally, and statistically for the final
eight teams remaining in the 2018 D-III baseball season to battle
it out in Appleton. Before we dive into World Series talk, we offer
some brief thoughts on last weekend (at 1:33) and some of the most
notable story lines from the eight regionals. We also offer another
round of important disclaimers (at 7:35) regarding how we talk
about the World Series field. Then, we break down each of the eight
teams. In order:
- Oswego State (at 8:41)
- The Lakers made winning the New England regional look far
easier that it should have been. Now back in Appleton for the
second straight year, can this squad have more success than their
2-and-Q showing in 2017?
- Texas-Tyler (at 13:18)
- The Patriots pulled off the improbable, winning 5 in a row to
capture the Central Regional title. They are clearly clicking at
the right time; can they ride this hot streak to a national
- Randolph-Macon (at 18:22)
- The team we've been touting all year as elite looked
appropriately awesome in the regional. Now in the World Series for
the very first time, can the Yellow Jackets put it all together and
make a serious run?
- Misericordia (at 23:23)
- The Cougars stormed back in the Mid-Atlantic Regional to earn
their ticket to Appleton, and look to ride that momentum to a
strong World Series showing.
- Concordia-Chicago (at 27:47)
- The Cardiac Cougars have had their fair share of miracle
victories this season, but that shouldn't overshadow how good they
can be. A strong coaching staff will look to lead Concordia to a
better showing than their 2017 Appleton appearance.
- Swarthmore (at 32:40)
- The Garnet loudly proved that their historic regular season was
no fluke by knocking off three of the best teams in the country in
the blink of an eye. Will they make their next tough task look just
- Wooster (at 37:23)
- Now finally in a tournament that doesn't involve Wabash, the
Fighting Scots will look to ride the nation's best offense and an
increasingly impressive pitching staff to its first national
- Texas Lutheran (at 41:15)
- Our official Team of Destiny, the Bulldogs have two of the best
starting pitchers in the country and the offense to support
Then we mention the players we are most excited to watch in
Appleton before begrudgingly making our picks for who will be the
last team standing (at 47:10).
Thanks for listening!
Follow us on Twitter @d3baseballpod (DMs are open if you want to
reach us there) and @CespedesBBQ.
Send us your best D-III stories or any other comments or
questions to email@example.com
Subscribe + rate/review on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-podcast-about-division-iii-baseball/id1342691759